Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Develop an international career - Resume

This post is created (based on my own experiences) for people who want to work out of their home countries and therefore develop their career internationally. It can be used as an advice.
You have generally only one career, so don't let it goes based on some unexpected events. If you really want to work abroad in developed countries, be prepared that it will take time to get a job. It can be two years or more depending on many factors. During this time, you may need take many actions to move into that direction.

Resume (a.k.a CV) is your ticket for entering job market. Write your resume with care and update it gradually and of course it should be in English. During last few years, I spend many hours to re-write many time my resume as well as to ask friends, colleagues and career's adviser for my resume's correction. I have to admit that I am still not satisfied with my resume as there is a lot of things to improve.

I also spend time to read resume of others, who work in the same industries and/or share a similar knowledge and career path. It help me a lot to get know how others present themselves, so I can adjust my resume to highlight my strength.

1 comment:

Alex Kane said...

I think this is a great topic. I'd love to have some tips on finding work in Japan, specific to the programming industry.

Probably more and more people will be interested in this topic the more the global economy continues to slide downhill.